Pages

Quilting by Celia

Quilting by Celia

Monday, January 21, 2013

Scrapmania and Swoon Quilt Top completed

Love or hate them, scraps can make your imagination go wild if you just love fabric (like we all do !). 
A couple of years ago I managed to reduce my scraps to 50% but last year with all the projects I did and some (well, perhaps many !) fabric purchases, the scrap bin is back to what it was in terms of size.
So after recently buying a couple of books that use scraps, I got very inspired and made this top.

It doesn't look like a lot of work, but it takes  a lot of time and thread to 'make fabric'.  I used the smallest pieces from the scrap bin to give more variety but I still wanted to have some kind of order by making the non-star blocks in one colour. The star blocks are quick to make but lots of seams to sew through.



I haven't quite decided if I should keep going making more fabrics and more stars and a bigger quilt but I needed a break, so I completed the top of the Swoon Quilt last night.

 I haven't pressed it properly but here is a close-up of one of the blocks.
 And another... 
I like the way the quilt turned out and this one will be quilted sooner rather than later.
 And this is the reason my scrap bin continues to grow... I am trying to buy fabrics different from my usual style and away from the reproduction designs  but in the end I have to admit that I love all fabrics !! 




And now for some inspiring music....
Apart from Smooth Jazz I also love Classical music. This is Nicola Benedetti playing the violin with the composition "Meditation from Thai's"  by Jules Massenet.

4 comments:

  1. Both your quilt tops are beautiful Celia. So many gorgeous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous scrappy quilts. It must haven taken many hours to sew all those pieces together but the result is stunning.
    The swoon quilt turned out wonderfully. Two great looking projects. I wonder what you will do next?
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used one colour for the square blocks in Scrapmania. Congrats on two beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Célia, os teus quilts estão magníficos!! Adoro o primeiro, das estrelas e quadrados, adoro a combinação de cores!!! Agora com a Hand Quilt Avanté, vejo que vais produzir em larga escala...
    Bjinhos

    ReplyDelete

Enter comments here, I love to hear what you think...